The Federal Government transfers ownership of the National Road to the states through which it passes. The National Road becomes known as the National Pike, as some of the states erect toll houses to collect fees from those using the Pike. In order to create a revenue stream for maintenance purposes , the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania constructs toll houses along its 90-mile segment. Six toll houses (15-mile intervals) in all were built, two of which are still standing today: Petersburg Toll House – Gate #1, in Addison, Somerset County and Searight Toll House, in Fayette County. The toll houses were in operation from 1835 to the turn of the 20th century.