Cast Iron Obelisk Markers
The stone markers are replaced with cast iron obelisk mile markers. The iron markers are cast in Brownsville at the Snowden Foundry and in Connellsville by Major James Francis. The Connellsville-produced markers are located along the North side of the National Road between Cumberland, Maryland and Brownsville, Pennsylvania . The markers fabricated in Brownsville are located on the North side of the National Road that town and Wheeling, (West) Virginia . The new mile markers are placed at one mile intervals and total 133 between Cumberland and Wheeling. Each marks the distances to Cumberland and to Wheeling as well as to the closest town. Construction of the National Road continues through Ohio, Indiana and Illinois during the 1830’s, 1840’s, and even into the 1850’s.