Maryland 2017-06-09T17:32:47+00:00
west md no border2

West Maryland

The Western Maryland Railway Station stands today as the last remaining building linked directly to Cumberland’s role as a major railroad center. In the 19th century, Cumberland emerged as one of the East Coast’s major transportation gateways. No less than three major transportation routes began or ended in Cumberland. Brought by road, rail, and water, Cumberland prospered by helping channel the raw materials, products, and people flowing between the East Coast and the new states lying on the far side of the Appalachian Mountains.

Cumberland has a brew house that was built in 1819 as a National Pike tavern and was later struck by a cannonball during the Civil War. In LaVale, the route passes one of Maryland’s few remaining historic toll houses, outside of which a plaque still displays the cost for wagons, animals and pioneering pedestrians to pass. The Maryland section of the National Road winds to an end in the northern section of Savage River State Forest and over Keyser’s Ridge to the Mason and Dixon Line.

Built in 1816 at Little Meadows by a veteran of the Revolutionary War, Jesse Tomlinson’s inn catered to travelers along the new National Road, and hosted Presidents-elect James K. Polk and William Henry Harrison. Now a private residence, the striking stone house is located at Little Meadows. As a state marker indicates, the scenic meadows were the site of General Braddock’s 4th camp on his march to Fort Duquesne in western Pennsylvania, July 15, 1755.

The Casselman River Bridge is located east of Grantsville, in an area known as Little Crossings. The bridge was the longest span of its kind when it was constructed in 1813 for the National Road. It is one of the many beautiful and innovative stone bridges designed specifically for the National Road. The structure can be seen easily from the National Freeway (I-68) as well as Alternate U.S. 40. The Casselman River Bridge is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

The Casselman Inn, which was opened in 1842 by Solomon Sterner. This establishment has also been known as Sterner House, Drovers’ Inn, Farmers’ Hotel and Dorsey Hotel. There was a large outdoor corral here during the years when it was a major stop for cattle drovers.

East Maryland

Baltimore is Maryland’s largest city and economic hub, known for its beautiful harbor and historic neighborhoods is one of America’s greatest historical destinations. Named for Lord Baltimore, the city was settled in the early 17th century and became a major seafaring and trading community and played a key role in events that shaped the nation’s history.Baltimore found enormous profit in overseas trade, not only in the early days of the American colonies, but also with the construction of the National and Bank roads and the United States western expansion.

Named after one of its 19th century owners, this rustic structure was built circa 1780 by an early settler of Ellicott’s Mills. The cabin was reconstructed on the present site in the late 20th Century. Here, visitors can learn about the settlement and development of the region from authentically costumed historians and artisans. The cabin is located at the intersection of Main St. and Ellicott Mills Dr. in Historic Ellicott City.

Bill as the “Antiques capital of Maryland”, New Market emerged as a trade route in the late 1700’s. Her roots have since spanned some of the most important cultural and legislative events over the years. These deep plantings continue today as New Market thrives as one of Maryland’s most scenic towns.

The Utica Mills Covered Bridge, circa 1850, is located on Utica Road off of Old Frederick Road. The bridge originally spanned the nearby Monocacy River but was washed away during a severe storm in 1889. Local citizens gathered the remains and reconstructed the 101-foot long Burr Arch design bridge at its present location crossing Fishing Creek.